Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Bishop Hollerith returns from sabbatical

L to R: Canon Ed Tracy, Canon Michael Spear-Jones, Bishop Hollerith and his assistant, Leah Sicignano.
Dear Diocesan family,

I am writing you on the occasion of my first day back after having completed a three month sabbatical. I am deeply appreciative of the fact that I was afforded the opportunity to have time away for rest and spiritual refreshment. It truly was a gift.

While I do believe my time away was well-spent, I was disappointed that I was not able to travel and study in Jerusalem as I had originally planned. The unrest in the Middle East during July and August necessitated cancelling. I hope that one day I will be afforded another opportunity to take such a pilgrimage as part of my normal annual continuing education. The fact that I did not travel as much as I thought I would did provide me with more quality time with my family.

I am very thankful for all those who made my time away possible, especially Canon Michael Spear-Jones, Canon Ed Tracy, Chancellor Sam Webster, and Bishop David Jones. Needless to say, the Diocese was in very competent hands!

For the next week or so, as I transition back to the "normal" routine, I will be doing a lot of catching up and working directly with the diocesan staff. This weekend I am looking forward to attending the consecration of the new bishop of East Carolina, and next week being with the clergy of Southern Virginia for our annual conference at Chanco on the James.

In the next several weeks, while I'll have plenty to do, I will relish most of all the opportunity to reconnect with all of you and to hear your stories. I find that I return with an increased feeling of joy and excitement about the ministries that are taking place across our diocese. I also return with a deepened sense of just how blessed I am to be your bishop.

Faithfully,
Bishop Hollerith