Wednesday, October 21, 2020

God is in charge (As we approach Election Day)

From Psalm 131
 
O LORD, I am not proud;*
   I have no haughty looks.
I do not occupy myself with great matters*
  or with things that are too hard for me.
But I still my soul and make it quiet,
  like a child upon its mother’s breast;*
   my soul is quieted within me.
O Israel, wait upon the LORD,*
  from this time forth for evermore.
 
As we approach Election Day, our anxiety increases. Fears about the well-being of our nation surround us, and we struggle not to feel like we are catapulting toward disaster. The ongoing presence of the pandemic compounds our feelings of doom and dread. Who is there to ground us and care for us? As the Israelites asked Moses many times during their journeys through the wilderness, “Is the Lord with us or not?”      

I invite you during this time of increasing tension to join me for a period of intentional prayer for Election Day. Beginning October 27, we will join with others across the nation in a novena (an ancient practice of 9 days of devotional prayers with specific intentions) for our national elections. During this time we will pray for wisdom and discernment in voting and for the well-being of our country.

Forward Movement has devised a series of prayers which will assist us and you can sign up to receive these prayers and resources daily here.

Come to God, say your prayers, light a candle each day beginning October 27, and remind yourself that God is in charge. He welcomes us to rest upon him in quiet solitude…even when…and especially when we are afraid.

-- Bishop Haynes