Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Young Adult Service Corp: A mission to bring God's people closer together

By Andy Russell, Bruton Parish, Williamsburg

After four years of calling Williamsburg home, it's time to go. William & Mary, Bruton Parish, and Canterbury - I will miss them all greatly.  But in a lot of ways, life is change.  And with the end of my college career, one huge change is coming my way.  Next year, I will be serving as a missionary with the Young Adult Service Corps (YASC).   

YASC, a program through the Episcopal Church, brings young adults into relationship with other members of the Anglican Communion across the globe. Translation: next year, I will be integrated into a diocesan community outside of the U.S. in order to, in some small way, bring the members of Christ's body closer together.

To be sure, there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding my mission with YASC.  I do not yet know where my placement site is.   I do not yet know what I will be doing at this placement site.  I do not know any of the people, and I may not know the primary language spoken there. But there are at least two things that I do know.  First, that God is looking out for every single one of us.  And second, that I cannot do this alone.

As such, I invite you to share in this YASC mission with me. I truly need your support.  This support is twofold.  First, YASC missionaries are called to raise $10,000 to help cover the expenses of mission. Second, I know that I will desperately need your prayers and community. Together, with God's help, this is our mission.  We will connect with God's children and we will make a difference in their lives as they make a difference in ours.

To financially support our mission, donations can be sent to Bruton Parish Church (memo line "YASC"), P.O. Box 3520, Williamsburg, VA 23187-3520. To prayerfully support our mission via a Prayer Sponsor List, please send a mail or email address to asrussell21@gmail.com. Please stay tuned for any updates, including my placement!