Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Seeing the Episcopal Church in a new way

by Rick Cole, St. Luke's, Powhatan

I have concluded a three-year term as our Convocation 7 lay representative on the Executive Board of the Diocese of Southern Virginia. Though it was a step outside my comfort zone and it did take time and work, I received far more from the experience than I gave. 
  • Learning - I knew I had a lot to learn, but I did know how much I did not know. I became more informed about Diocesan programs and ministries, staff, procedures, budget, and church governance. Most importantly, I came to the realization that the Diocese is not us and them. It is only "us" and it is made up of regular people working unselfishly to do God's will and support each other (not some mysterious entity or bureaucracy that exists only to perpetuate itself).
  • Inspiration - You cannot help but be inspired by the amazing people and amazing ministries in our midst.
  • Networking - You work with and get to know fellow Episcopalians who face many of the same challenges you do. You formally and informally share and brainstorm strategies for dealing with those challenges.
  • An opportunity to serve - God has given each of us gifts to share and grow. Serving the larger church is one way to serve God's people and his church.
  • A broader perspective - being around people from the different areas of the diocese with different viewpoints and priorities helps give you a greater appreciation for the needs and assets of our diocese.
  • New friends!
I conclude my time as an Executive Board member as a better advocate for who we as a Diocese and with a greater appreciation of the boundless potential that we have when we take advantage of opportunities to work together. I encourage you to prayerfully consider the opportunities to participate in Diocesan activities and on committees or boards.

The Episcopal Church in Southern Virginia is a diverse Eucharistic community, committed to the Gospel, collaborating for strength, innovating for growth, equipping each other to live in the world as disciples of Jesus Christ. -- Diocese of Southern Virginia Vision Statement