Wednesday, August 3, 2016

YASC Mission to Tanzania: Good to be back!

By Andy Russell, Bruton Parish, Williamsburg

Andy Russell, a member of Bruton Parish, Williamsburg, just completed a year in Tanzania as part of the Episcopal Church's Young Adult Service Corps. You can read his mission blog here.
If you ever have the chance to visit Tanzania, probably one of the first Swahili word
s you will hear is karibu (care-ri-boo). The word means "welcome" and you literally hear it everywhere: when you enter someone's house, when they offer you food or a seat, when you arrive in a new place, when you give thanks to someone for something.

The use and meaning of karibu in Swahili, especially in Tanzania, is one of tho
se instances where the language reflects the culture of the people who speak it. In other words, the widespread use of karibu in Swahili is  a reflection of the extreme hospitality with which Tanzanians treat visitors (and one another). You cannot help but feel welcomed in Tanzania; I certainly could not help feeling welcomed in Tanzania. Now I would like to extend a welcome to you!

On Sunday, August 7, from 3 to 4pm in the Bruton parish hall, I will be giving a small presentation (including time for questions and answers) on my time in Tanzania. I want to share the excitement, the struggles, the triumphs, and the feelings of God's presence I have experienced with you all, the people who helped make my YASC mission in Tanzania possible.  So my brothers and sisters in Christ, karibu! Hope to see you soon.