Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Ridley Foundation awards $91,575 in scholarships


The Ridley Foundation Board awarded scholarships totaling $91,575 to 37 students from the Diocese of Southern Virginia and Southampton County for the 2013-14 academic year. Click here for a list of this year's recipients. Here's what some of them had to say:

"I would like to take a moment to express my sincerest thanks to Ridley Board for selecting me as a recipient of The Ridley Foundation's scholarship. My passions for learning and serving my community are enduring and will continue to infiltrate every aspect of my life, during college and beyond. The Ridley Scholarship is making an enormous difference in my life by helping me and my family to pay for my college education. No number of 'Thank You's' will ever truly express how much I appreciate this generous award." - Kristen L. Cooke - Emmanuel, Franklin                                                                                      

"Words couldn't explain how I feel. As a single mother living in poverty, no college degree, and a teenage son it has really taken a toll on my revenue, but thanks to the committee and prayers I'm on my way out of the impoverished area. The committee has taught me the true definition of giving back." - Judy Wyche - St. Thomas', Freeman

"I was flabbergasted when the scholarship came in the mail. My parents were ecstatic and I felt a sense of accomplishment for working hard in high school. I can't thank you enough for awarding me with such an honor. For the second semester, I know I am supposed to send in a transcript to show what I've done for the first semester. I plan to attach pictures of the campus and surrounding area just to show you what is being funded!" - Patrick Mahloy - St. Andrew's, Newport News

"Your support is truly a blessing to my family and we are very grateful. As I head back to Virginia Tech for my last year I will remember your generosity and continue to pay it forward. I look forward to continuing to serve my community as well as finish up school and get ready for the next chapter of my life." - Peter Gunderson - St. Thomas', Chesapeake

"Thank you so much for the scholarship you have awarded me with. I appreciate it greatly and know it will help me a lot in the future. I look forward to attending James Madison University to try and become an Occupational Therapist and these funds will definitely help"- Bethany Vann - Southampton County, VA

"I was both surprised and honored to receive the Ridley scholarship. I sincerely appreciate your generosity. I appreciate your confidence in me and willingness to contribute to my future education. I am currently attending Tidewater Community College and look forward to completing my Bachelor's Degree at Virginia Wesleyan College. At the current time, I plan on majoring in Secondary Education in hopes of one day teaching History." - Ryan A. Watson - St. Mark's, Suffolk