Thursday, May 22, 2014

Former EYC President to serve as YASC missionary in Hong Kong

Hello all! My name is Justin Davis and I will be serving as a missionary with the Young Adult Service Corp of the Episcopal Church (YASC for short). I want to start out by thanking all of you for your support. The Diocese of Southern Virginia has played an incredibly large role in shaping who I am as a person, especially through the Episcopal Youth Community (EYC) in which I served as president from 2009-2010, and as a member of St. David's, Chesterfield. I will be forever grateful.  

I have spent the last four years at Virginia Commonwealth University, a religious studies major with a minor in business, and I hope to one day become an ordained minister. I have attended Grace and Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Richmond for four years, where I have been active in the Episcopal Campus Ministry. I have also interned for Grace and Holy Trinity for three years. Two of these years I spent as a youth intern and one year as a Campus Ministry Intern. This summer I am working in Fauquier County, Virginia at Leeds Episcopal Church as an intern with the Young Priest Initiative.  

During my upcoming year with in YASC, I will be serving with the Mission to Seafarers in Hong Kong. You will be able to learn more about the programs I am working with, and follow my personal experiences while in Hong Kong at my blog. I am asking you all especially for your thoughts and prayers in the upcoming year.  

I will be fundraising throughout the summer for this trip. My goal is to raise $10,000 before the last week of August, which is when I leave. Donations can be sent to Grace and Holy Trinity Episcopal church at 8 N. Laurel Street, Richmond VA 23220 with "Justin Davis YASC" in the memo. All donations are tax deductible, and I can provide you with a tax ID. 

Feel free to send me an email at davisjb4@vcu.edu if you have any questions or concerns. Once again thank you for your thoughts and prayers as this new adventure begins.